Minutes of the D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting 16 January, 2017.


D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting 16 January, 2017.

Minutes

Present        

Board: James Traynor (chair), Hannah Bruce, Shaun Gillen, Pete Berciu, Tasha Gordon, Tom Leighton, Eleri Jones, Kwende Anbessa- Ebanks

Others: Annelie Sernevall (Interim TMO Manager), Kate Traynor, Tom Hatton Snr, Tom Hatton Jnr.

Apologies: Kate Damiral, Tracey Stedman (TMI)

  1. Welcome

No new declarations of interest were made. Board members who were present signed new copies of the declaration of interest form.

ACTION 1: Board members who were not able to be present at the meeting must sign a copy of the form at the next meeting or arrange a time to visit the TMO office to sign.

ACTION 2: Annelie will send an electronic version of the forms to Eleri for record keeping purposes.

Resignations from the Board: Kate Damiral and Beatrice Otu-Ansah are standing down from the Board. The Board wanted to officially minute their sincere appreciation both Kate and Beatrice for their hard work and dedication during their time as Board members.

ACTION 3: The Board agreed to circulate an email with ideas for a present for Kate and Beatrice.

  1. Minutes from the previous meeting

The minutes were approved.

ACTION 4: Tasha agreed to take over the production of the estate newsletter. Tom L will assist.

Actions rolled over from the previous meeting:

  • Annelie was not able to provide an update on the procurement of staff mobiles – this will be picked up in the next meeting in February.
  • Kwende has not circulated the example reports from the Southwark TMO Conference he attended last year. This will be completed before the next meeting in February.
  1. Matters arising

There were no matters arising that were not on the agenda.

  1. Updates

A written report was provided by Jackie and Tracy (TMI) which was circulated in hard copy to Board members. It was agreed that the Board would review this outside of the meeting.

  1. Items for decisions/approval by the Board

Approval of Proposed Budget – 2017/18

The Board reviewed both the Finance Report (which details expenditure) and the proposed Budget for 2017/18. Both reports were prepared by the TMO Finance Officer and scrutinised by the Finance Sub – Committee in advance of the Board meeting. It was noted that the Board can approve changes to the Budget later in the year, if there is a clearly identifiable need presented.

The Board agreed with the Sub-Committee proposal to approve the Budget, subject to an HR training plan being developed with the TMO manager. This should ensure that training costs for TMO staff are evaluated carefully to ensure they provide best value. (6 approvals, 1 abstention. No Board members voted against the budget)

ACTION 5: Hannah will undertake a survey of Board training needs as well as a gap analysis and will report back at the next meeting in February.

ACTION 6: The Board agreed with the Finance Sub-Committee recommendation that the TMO Finance Officer reconfigure the Finance Report to illustrate variance in expenditure more clearly, with a written explanation of variances exceeding 15%.

ACTION 7: The Finance sub-committee will work with the TMO Finance Officer to make sure the finance and budget reports are clearly labelled.

Security

Volunteers were sought for a security sub-committee which will look at how to reduce and prevent crime on the estate. The sub-committee will feed into a presentation at the next General Meeting on March 2 on a proposed strategic plan for addressing the crime issues on the estate.

ACTION 8: Tom Leighton will send an invitation for the sub-committee meeting which will be on Thursday February 2 and start with a walkaround the estate at 6pm. Shaun, Connie, Tom Leighton and James will attend the sub-committee meeting. Tom Hatton Snr will check his diary to see if he is able to attend. Our police representative will also be invited.

ACTION 9: The sub-committee will pay attention to lighting issues in their walkaround and report back to the repairs and maintenance sub-committee who are meeting on February 8.

ACTION 10: Shaun has proactively contacted some local TMOs who have implemented security plans and can advise D’Eynsford on what could be done here. He will meet with them as soon as practical and report back to the sub-committee and Board.

Secret Garden

Kate Traynor joined the meeting to present a proposal for maintaining the gardening sessions in the secret garden.

The garden has been running for about 7 years and the garden sub-committee members are Tom L, Connie and Kate Traynor. The sub-committee wanted to open the garden every week, but couldn’t always manage it. As a result, a community gardener was employed through St Mungos last year.

Key statistics were reported to the Council: there were 24 workshops last year, with 2 more to run in March 2017. The gardeners ran activities for children such as building a bug hotel, as well as attracting a wide group of young people and adults. In total, last year, 15 young people attended weekly gardening sessions, 20 more came to one off events. 40 adults to weekly gardening session, another 15 came to one offs.

St Mungos are not able to provide gardeners this year, however, the TMO has been approached directly by one of the gardners (Victoria) who has put together a proposal to maintain the service.

The Board discussed the risks associated with employing a gardener directly with respect to insurance and management requirements on TMO staff which were previously dealt with by St. Mungos. It was noted that the TMO caretaker was keen to be involved in the garden and that this should be encouraged as every member of staff can give up one day to a community project. This could also provide an alternative to sub-committee members being present at every gardening session, which can be difficult to schedule.

ACTION 10: Victoria will be invited to the next Board meeting to present her proposal in more details. In the meantime, the sub-committee will look at whether there could be 1 or 2 more competitive quotes sourced as a comparison. They will also engage with Victoria to understand more about her processes for addressing insurance and management issues.

  1. Items for discussion by Board members

TMO Managers Report:

The underspend from 2016/17 will be reviewed by the Board after the financial year end and proposals for how to reinvest will be presented.

The pilot of the new working hours for the caretakers was discussed. They have stopped coming in on Saturday, but do come in on Bank Holidays. It was agreed by the Board that this schedule needs to be kept under review. However, as a principle, there should be consistency in TMO employees’ schedules and that a seasonal schedule was not appropriate.

ACTION 11: A meeting of the sub group for the community room was scheduled for Wednesday, 25 January, 7-9pm. Pete volunteered to join the group, which also includes Tasha, Kate T and Tom L.

ACTION 12: Tom L will update the Google calendar for Board and send links to everyone. He will also send out invites for the sub-committee meetings.

  1. AOB

The change to the TMO office address and letterbox was queried.

ACTION 13: Albert has been away on holiday. Annelie will follow up on this with him on his return report back at the next Board meeting.

ACTION 14: Report on the firearms discharge; Annelie will circulate the security report to the Board, and make sure that copies are available at the security sub committee meeting.

ACTION 15: Date of the next General Meeting: It was agreed the next General Meeting would be on March 2 at 7pm in the Sheltered Housing Common Room. Two weeks notice must to be given to the estate residents, so a newsletter needs to go out by 16 February.

MEETING CLOSED

Board Minutes, 12 September 2016

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting

12 September 2016

Minutes

Present       Board: James Traynor (chair), Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Beatrice Otu-Ansah, Terry Norman, Connie Gray, Eleri Jones, Bola Ogunmefum, Rob Beer, Jane Greaves, Tom Leighton, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Annelie Sernevall (Interim TMO Manager), Jackie Richards (Tenant Management Initiatives Team, Southwark Council), Hannah Bruce, Shaun Gillen, Cllr Mark Williams

  1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest

Apologies were received from Dee Adongo, Patrick Luppi and Tasha Gordon.  Jane Greaves informed the meeting that she was stepping down from the board due to a potential conflict of interest with a new civil service job.

The family of a sheltered unit resident who had recently died, had visited the estate to express their thanks to the socials group for running the coffee mornings which their relative had particularly enjoyed.

The TMO had been offered a grant from the People’s Health Trust for the completion of the community room and a range of activities.

The fun day had been a success despite poor weather, with a good atmosphere and a turnout of about 100 people.

  1. Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising

The public minutes of 8 August 2016 were approved with the correction of the date of the last meeting and the addition of the following sentence regarding the manager’s recruitment: ‘The possibility of using two agencies would be explored, unless there were clear benefits to using only one, in which case Prentis would be selected as it offered a guarantee in case the appointment was unsuccessful.’

Tasha is liaising with Millwall to explore opportunities for restarting the football sessions.

The target of 100.5% has been set for rent collection this year.

  1. Manager’s update

Annelie presented her report and the operational report.  Tracy from the TMI team will visit on Wednesday to review progress on the repairs and maintenance service.  It was noted that Albert is building good partnerships with agencies tackling anti-social behaviour.  It was noted that two staff members were threatened by an individual with a knife but the situation was dealt with promptly and the staff safety procedures were fit for purpose.

A solution for treating the homes of housebound residents affected by the bed bug infestation has been found.  The pest team have now had full access to all properties in the affected block.  It was noted the problem has lasted at least 18 months to date.

Issuing cheques to tenants for the water recharge refunds had been labour intensive.

[Jane left and Connie joined the meeting.]

  1. TMO improvement plan

Jackie talked through the six month improvement plan and explained that it was put together following a review of monitoring information and a meeting with Annelie.  Jackie assured the board that it was not a sanction for the TMO but a development tool to help the organisation get back on track after its difficulties. She also confirmed it was not due to board incompetence or lack of commitment and commended the TMO for its energy and ideas.  Jackie recommended the My Learning Source online training programme for the finance sub-committee.  It was noted that a range of policies and terms of reference for sub-committees were already in place.

Action: Annelie to share the manager recruitment plan and progress to date with the TMI team to ensure it fits within the requirements of the improvement plan.

[Jackie left the meeting.]

  1. Planning the year ahead

It was agreed to carry out a separate exercise to review the organisation’s objectives later in the month, in preparation for the AGM.  It was agreed to propose to the membership at the AGM to fund four more advice surgeries from surplus, to be delivered by Advising London Oct-Jan.  This would allow more time to assess the value of an on-site advice service.

  1. Finance

The draft accounts for 2015/16 were tabled.  The finance sub-group will review them and meet with the auditors before making a recommendation to the board on whether to accept the accounts, in time for the AGM.  

A finance report for quarter 1, 2016/17 was tabled – some errors were noted.  A considerable underspend against repairs and maintenance was apparent and investment would be needed to ensure a timely and quality service is developed in this area.  Overspend on HR support was also noted and it was agreed to look at alternative service providers.

  1. AGM planning

It was agreed to hold the AGM on Wednesday 5 October.  Mark Williams agreed to run a surgery in the hour before the meeting.

  1. Any other business

There was no other business.

[The meeting concluded with confidential items.]

Board Meeting Minutes, 8 August 2016

 

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting

8 August 2016

Minutes

Present  Board: Patrick Luppi (chair), Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Beatrice Otu-Ansah, Terry Norman, Natasha Gordon, Connie Gray, Eleri Jones, Dorothy Adongo, Bola Ogunmefum, Rob Beer, Tom Leighton, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Annelie Sernevall (Interim TMO Manager), Tracy Stedman and Jackie Richards (Tenant Management Initiatives Team, Southwark Council)

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest

Jackie Richards and Tracy Stedman were welcomed to the meeting, along with Eleri Jones who had been elected to the board at the July general meeting with Beatrice Otu-Ansah (re-elected after her time abroad).  Elizabeth Sheeran had stepped down from the board at the general meeting.

Apologies were received from James Traynor and Jane Greaves.  Kate Damiral and Tom Leighton declared an interest under item 4 in any decision to offer additional support to Belham Walk residents affected by the ongoing bed bug problem, as they live in the block.

The meeting was informed that Darren Kidson had resigned as TMO manager on 25 July.  The board agreed to the HR sub-committee’s recommendation to use a recruitment agency to recruit to the post.  The possibility of using two agencies would be explored, unless there were clear benefits to using only one, in which case Prentis would be selected as it offered a guarantee in case the appointment was unsuccessful.  Annelie will continue as Interim Manager until the permanent position is filled.

2. Minutes of the last meeting

The public minutes of 11 July 2016 were approved.

3. Matters arising

There was a good turnout for the first advice session delivered by Advising London.  However, the service level agreement is still outstanding.
Action: Annelie to liaise with Kate Traynor to ensure the SLA is finalised.

Annelie reported that Darren had apparently indicated to the Council that the TMO would take on the contract for dealing with knotweed.  However, due to the complicated treatment required, Annelie has instructed Mitch Flacko, Maintenance and Repairs Coordinator, to ask the Council to take the contract back.

Jackie and Tracy advised that Mitch would need to liaise with Veolia to arrange locks on bin rooms.

All the communal lights are now working although some sensors are not, as a number of lights are on during daylight.
Action: Mitch to liaise with the council for knotweed and light sensors, and Veolia for bin room locks.

No progress had been made with the football plans.
Action: Kate to resend the SGTO tournament information to the socials group and Annelie, and Tom to look at funding.

Albert Frimpong, Housing Officer, will work with Mitch on the repairs workshop proposal.

The AGM will be scheduled after the fun day to allow time for the accounts to be reviewed.  Pawel has arranged a meeting with the auditors next week to agree a timetable for the review, which will inform the AGM date.

4. Management and operational report for July

Annelie presented the two reports, alongside the quarter one performance report that had been submitted to the Council.  It was noted that there is no target for rent arrears.
Action: Albert to propose a realistic target for the year.

It was noted that there was a backlog of outstanding repairs, which was reflected in the underspend recorded in the performance report.  Mitch will use contractors to clear the backlog.

All but one member of staff have completed their annual appraisal.  The final one will be carried out in the next few days.

[Tom and Kate left the meeting for the following element of this agenda item.]

There was a good resident turnout for the meeting about the bed bug problem in Belham Walk.  Annelie reported that the TMO is working closely with the pest service to ensure they can carry out the necessary treatments.  It was agreed to consider whether additional support could be offered to affected residents.

Action: Finance sub-committee to explore whether funds would allow for additional support and if so, bring costed options to the next board meeting, along with suggested principles for providing similar support in future.

5. Sub-committees, groups and external reps reports back

It was agreed for Eleri Jones to join the finance sub-committee.  Bola also offered to join the group if more members were needed.

6. July general meeting report back and proposal for garden by Datchelor Place

In a majority vote plus two abstentions it was agreed to allocate £1,562 from the 2015/16 surplus to the garden proposal.  This would meet the funding shortfall and enable the project to proceed with the Cleaner, Greener, Safer grant already secured.  The funds will cover the cheapest design option which had received the most support at the general meeting.  There was no time for further feedback from the general meeting.

7. Finance

A finance report for quarter 3 and 4 2015/16 and a summary budget for 2016/17 were tabled but there was no time for discussion.

8. Any other business

It was noted that affected residents had not yet received the letter from the Council regarding the water rebate.  Albert will liaise with the Council and arrange for the TMO to send the letters if necessary.

[The meeting concluded with confidential items.]

Board minutes, 11 July 2016

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting

11 July 2016

Minutes

Present       Board: James Traynor (chair), Patrick Luppi, Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Tasha Gordon, Elizabeth Sheeran, Connie Gray, Rob Beer, Terry Norman, Tom Leighton, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Beatrice Otu-Ansah, Annelie Sernevall (Interim TMO Manager), Anne Hawley, Tunde Disu.

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest
Annelie Sernevall introduced herself as the Interim TMO Manager, covering Darren Kidson’s role while he is on extended leave.  Apologies were received from Dorothy Adongo, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks and Jackie Richards (Southwark Tenant Management Initiatives (TMI) monitoring team).  It was noted that Ben Beck (monitoring officer) had taken voluntary redundancy and Jackie would now be the TMO’s key contact.

2. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of 13 June 2016 were approved.

3. Matters arising
The first Advising London surgery will take place tomorrow.
Action: Annelie to ensure the service level agreement with Advising London is in place.

Knotweed has also been seen in and around other parts of the estate, including people’s gardens.
Action: Annelie to clarify who has responsibility for treating it.

The TMI team have advised that the TMO will require permission from the the Council to fit locks on the bin rooms.
Action: Annelie to follow this up.

4. Operational report for June
Annelie presented the report and informed the board that she will work with the staff team to develop a new format for it to tie in with the TMO’s key performance indicators, so that the board can get a clearer sense of how well the organisation is doing.  Annelie will also meet with the TMI team to discuss reporting processes.

Following the multi-agency meeting about the bed bug infestation, a residents’ meeting will be held for the affected block immediately before the general meeting on the 18th.
Action: Annelie to ensure a letter about the meeting is delivered to residents.

It was noted that various communal lights across the estate have been out of action for several weeks.
Action: Annelie to investigate.

Annelie will meet with the walkabout group to review the reporting processes for it.  Patrick stepped down from the group due to work commitments but will attend the review meeting for handover purposes.

5. Football proposal
It was agreed to field a D’Eynsford team for the SGTO young people’s football tournament.  A group of young people are already interested.  The sign up form will be kept in the office.  Connie will be the key contact for enquiries and will sit on the SGTO organising committee.  The tournament date will be advertised in the next newsletter if timing allows, to encourage residents to go along to support the team.  It was agreed to develop a funding bid to enable Millwall to restart sessions in the football pitch.
Action: 1) Coffee morning group to design posters for recruiting tournament team members. 2) Tom to investigate funding.

6. Finance
The bank balance was £237,330.31.  Jane resigned as treasurer and it was agreed to appoint Terry to the post.

[Tom joined the meeting.]

7. Surplus decisions review and plans for the general meeting on 18 July
The away day decisions on how to spend the 2015/16 surplus were reviewed.  The previously  agreed allocation of funds for socials and plants for the grounds will be presented at the general meeting.

It was agreed to prioritise costing up the creation of a repairs workshop in the empty units next to the garages on Mary Datchelor Close (the original location for the TMO office), as the staff team are currently using the community room for this purpose and the decision on the grant application to complete the room is due in August.
Action: Annelie to liaise with the Council about the use of the units and work up a budgeted proposal for a repairs workshop.

CCTV funding may be available from the Council.  It was noted that several windows in homes on and off the estate around Datchelor Place have been broken in recent weeks by stones.

A £50 budget was agreed for the meeting refreshments.
Action: Rob and Tasha to arrange snacks and drinks.

[Connie, Tunde and Anne left the meeting.  Elizabeth joined the meeting.]

8. Annual general meeting preparation
It was agreed provisionally to hold the AGM in the TMO office on the same date as the fun day, Saturday 10 September.  This would be subject to the audited accounts being prepared in time and finding a suitable children’s activity provider to enable parents to attend the meeting.
Action: Socials group to investigate children’s activity services and a location.

9. Any other business
A letter from the Council has been received with information about the refund process for tenants from the resale of Thames Water water charges.  Tenants will be contacted directly.

[The meeting concluded with confidential items.]

Board meeting minutes, 13 June 2016

 

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting
13 June 2016
Minutes

Present       Board: James Traynor (chair), Patrick Luppi, Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Tasha Gordon, Elizabeth Sheeran, Connie Gray, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Joan Henrick, Eleri Jones, Albert Frimpong (TMO housing officer), Cllr Radha Burgess, Kate Traynor.

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest
Apologies were received from Rob Beer, Terry Norman, Dorothy Adongo and Ben Beck (Southwark monitoring officer).

2. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of 9 May 2016 were approved with an amendment to item 9 to read: ‘Patrick may have to step down from the walkabout and community room groups due to new work commitments’.

3. Matters arising
A cherry picker will be required for work on the guttering.  It will be hired for one week and storage space will need to be found for it.

The TMO’s electricity account is still being tracked down.

Keys to 90% of the overflow access points have been obtained, with the remainder due for delivery to the TMO within the next week.

[Cllr Burgess joined the meeting.]

4. Staff report for May
Albert presented the operational report.  Some water tanks are located between floors, making repairs difficult and expensive.  The team is exploring the option of re-routing overflows which in some places run the length of a block and provide channels for pests.

All contractors have been asked not to park on the grass.
Action: Albert to source a new lock for the bollard at the north end of Belham Walk path.

Albert has developed a proposal to recruit residents to lock the football pitch at night on a voluntary basis, to reduce anti-social behaviour.  Two residents have already offered to take on the role.  Pawel has also indicated he is willing to be a key holder.  It was noted that people may still congregate on the steps leading down to the gates.  The proposal was agreed in principle, subject to considering volunteers’ safety.
Action: Albert to carry out a risk assessment for the volunteers and develop a protocol and schedule for key holders.

The internal bin rooms in Belham Walk will be locked to prevent rough sleeping and residents will be given keys.  If the scheme proves effective, it will be rolled out across the whole estate.

It was noted that estate signage and maps falls within the communications sub-group’s remit and the group will work with the staff team on this.  However, given current staff pressures, it is not a priority for the time-being.

5. Sub-committees, groups and external rep updates
Secret Garden: The application to the Council’s Tenants and Residents Social Improvement Grants fund for two community gardeners has been successful.  The gardeners will be employed by St Mungo’s Broadway through the Putting Down Roots project which delivers the TMO’s grounds maintenance service. The Secret Garden team will prepare a service level agreement with St Mungo’s for this additional work.

Socials group: It was noted that the weekly coffee mornings are well attended and the volunteers thank you event was a success.

Walkabouts: The feedback is now included in the operational report.  Spot checks will also be carried out.

6. Advice surgery proposal
[Kate Traynor attended the meeting for this item.]

The TMO has been invited by Advising London to host free monthly advice surgeries for local people at the TMO office in a three month outreach trial.  Kate T, Terry and Albert met Advising London to discuss the proposal.  Advising London has insurance for the service and the TMO would not be liable in any way.  It was agreed to accept the proposal.  The service will start in July.  There may be opportunity to develop a joint funding bid to continue the on-site scheme if it is effective.
Action: Kate T, Terry, Connie and Albert to work up a service level agreement with Advising London.

[Kate T, Connie, Albert and Joan left the meeting.]

7. July general meeting
It was agreed to hold the meeting on 18 July, to invite the local police to discuss residents’ concerns about drug dealing on the estate, and to run a consultation session on the development of the garden and grounds.  Outstanding decisions on surplus funds will be reviewed at the next board meeting in case additional proposals could be put to residents.

8. Any other business
It was noted that the ongoing bed bug problem in Belham Walk was not featured in the operational report, although it requires continued input from the staff team to work with the Council’s pest control team.  Cllr Burgess informed the meeting that the issue has been escalated to the Director of Housing Operations.

Ines Teles has resigned from the board and it was also agreed to remove Beatrice Otu-Ansah as a director as she has been unable to attend meetings regularly for the past year due to personal circumstances and was currently still abroad.
Action: James to write to Beatrice to explain the board’s decision.

Japanese Knotweed has rooted by the Secret Garden.
Action: Albert to find out whether its removal is part of the grounds maintenance contract or the Council’s responsibility.

[The meeting concluded with a confidential item.]

TMO board minutes, 9 May 2016

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting
Monday 9 May 2016
Minutes  

Present    Committee: James Traynor (Chair), Tasha Gordon, Patrick Luppi, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Bola Ogunmefum, Tom Leighton, Rob Beer, Connie Gray, Joan Henrick, Dorothy Adongo (notes).   

Other attendees: Mitch (Caretaker), Albert Frimpong (Housing Officer).   

1. Welcome and introductions

All were welcomed to the meeting and introduced themselves. James reminded everyone of the code of conduct and any declaration of interest. Apologies received from Kate D and Terry Norman.  

2. Minutes of the last meeting (approval)

All agreed and approved the minutes of the last meeting.  

3. Matters arising  

Guttering still a problem on the estate. TMO to try And get the Council to take responsibility for the neglected gutters.
Action: Albert to find out if there is enough in the budget to clean, clear and repair all the gutters on the estate.

Environmental Health issue – A resident has been disposing urine in the pathway at the back of 63-70 MDC right near the childrens play area. Albert has advised that the issue is being investigated.

Leakages and plumbing are the major issues on the estate.

4. Managers report and Estate walkabout feedback

Estate walkabout – A lot of the repairs have not been logged, so there is no evidence of completed or outstanding jobs.

Mitch has advised that there is a new process of allocating reference numbers, for example, Job 1- door number- date- initial of caretaker. All jobs should be physically inspected before it is signed off for payment. Once the job is complete, Pawel checks and confirms . Albert has advised that the TMO are slightly behind.

Estate Lighting – The lighting in walkway between Mary Datchelor and Don Phelan (Sheltered unit) keeps going off. Mitch is not sure whether the sensors are not working, or if its rain water leaking into the electrics. The lights issue has been reported to the Council, however, when Mears contractors have attended, the lights have been fully working. Residents may have to contact Mears out of hours team when the light goes off. O’Briens have been booked to look at the lights on the 23rd May 2016, so an update will be available for June meeting.

The lights by the Secret Garden are on during the day. Do they need to be turned off? Ask residents who live there before making a decision. Has the electricity bill for the Estate gone down with the current replacement of energy bulbs? Are Southwark still paying for the electricity? Are we able to check?
Action: Albert to find out from Southwark.

Overflows – Locks need to be changed. The locks are different and the TMO cannot access it. Southwark need to change the locks.
Action Albert to follow up with Southwark.

Drains and gutters – The smell from the waste stacks is still entering into residents homes. It was suggested to to get a specialist to assess and see where the TMO boundaries lie in order to take on the job. One of the tanks need to be replaced. There have been minor repairs carried out, but none replaced. 13 MDC was assessed and given a five year replacement time frame. The TMO will need to find out if the stack is an urgent replacement or a five year wait.

Managers report – Albert to include outstanding jobs at the next meeting. Leaseholder jobs where TMO are not liable for are not part of the repairs report figures. Kwende advised that information such as referrals to Southwark, TMO internal jobs or dates of communication with the Council should be logged.

Rent – Regularly monitored. All accounts are looked at as of 09/05/2016

TMO Liaison meeting – To hold a discussion with the estate about Universal credit.

Voids – 27 Belham Walk has been given back to the TMO, and Southwark has paid for it.

Tenancy checks – To try to get residents at home for checks either very early before work, or late evenings.  

5. Repairs management process

General repairs – i-world records (report system for repairs) are currently not being used to report and complete repairs. Mitch has informed the board that he is slightly behind with inputting data as there were initial problems with the codes, however, it is now sorted. He has temporarily been using a spreadsheet to record repairs, and has informed the board that he would need more time in order to enter the data onto i-world.

Repairs are currently without job references or being logged. It is important to have a paper trail along with the i-world system, as this is used to meet and analyse D’Eynsford TMO performance.

Dee suggested employing a part time administrator to assist with data entry and other general office duties. Albert advised that other TMOs such as Gloucester Grove and Leathermarket have administrators, so may be worth speaking to them first.

Tom advised that he recently attended a meeting with other TMOs and discovered a few pros and cons that other TMOs have experienced, which may help our TMO overcome some issues which may arise. As a board, we can assist with finding the right contractors and , i.e. Plumbers.

6.Complaints policy

After reviewing the complaints policy, it was suggested that a Right to appeal, and TMO address and contact number should be included. The complaints policy should be modified to incorporate D’Eynsford TMO. All agreed for the above changes to be made.

7. Community room update  

A bid for £28,622.08 funding bid has been put through the Health Lottery fund. Timescale is August 2016, however once approved, work will not start until September 2016. Tom attended Fundraising workshop and was given a list of charities/Trusts/ Foundations available to give money.

8. Finance

It was agreed for the Co-operative Bank to continue as our bankers and to update the account signatories to reflect current board officer roles.  

9. Any other business

Albert is pushing for New Caretaker Devon to start work within the next two weeks. Devon has general caretaker experience. There are uniforms available, however, if not the right size, can be ordered.

The cleaning Rota for the estate has been drawn up and will be presented with the June report. The TMO standard will be available in July.

Patrick may have to step down from the walkabout and community room groups due to new work commitments.

Support is being given to the TMO staff in absence of Darren. Albert has spoken to Gloucester Grove TMO Manager Abiola , and Tracey from TMI.      

TMO board meeting minutes, 18 April 2016

 

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting
18 April 2016

Minutes

Present       Board: James Traynor (chair), Dorothy Adongo, Patrick Luppi, Connie Gray, Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Tom Leighton, Rob Beer, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Tasha Gordon, Terry Norman, Elizabeth Sheeran, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Ben Beck (Monitoring Officer), Tom Hatton jr, Tom Hatton sr

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest

Apologies were received from Beatrice Otu-Ansah.

2. Minutes of the last meeting (approval)

The minutes of 14 March 2016 were approved.

3. Matters arising

Kwende and Albert (Housing Officer) are leading on arranging the interviews for the caretaker post.  The new walkabout form will be brought to the next meeting.  Residents can also log communal repair issues with the office.  Some Council and TMO areas of responsibility are still being clarified against the MMA.  The communications sub-committee will meet later in the month.  Kreston Reaves was appointed as auditor as well as accountant at the general meeting in March.  The bid to the People’s Health Lottery for the community room is through to a round two application.  It was noted that it may not be necessary to replace the community room doors.  Connie will join the community room set-up working group.

4. Any other business

Ben Beck informed the board that the Council’s TMI team did not find the case made by Darren Kidson (Manager) convincing for withholding £10,000 of rent payments for quarter 3.  The case had been made in light of rent collection challenges due to delayed set-up procedures.  The TMI team have requested that the full invoice be paid.
Action: Ben to send the relevant correspondence to James Traynor for the board’s consideration.

The garden group will arrange a meeting with Terry to ensure the plan for the new garden area by Datchelor Place links in with the development of an overarching approach to the grounds, for consultation with residents.  Kate will assist with the Cleaner Greener Safer paperwork for the new garden area.  

It was noted that Elaine Clarke (garden group member) will manage the petty cash for the garden and Kate Traynor (socials group member) will manage the petty cash for socials.  Both cash boxes will be kept in the office.  Separate forms for board expenses and external invoices for board costs will be developed.

It was noted that the Millwall funding for weekly football sessions on the estate has come to an end.  Connie and Albert will meet the Millwall community outreach officer to explore future options.

[followed by confidential items]

TMO board meeting minutes, 14 March 2016

 

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting
14 March 2016

Minutes

Present       Board: James Traynor (chair), Patrick Luppi, Beatrice Otu-Ansah, Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Tom Leighton, Rob Beer, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Tasha Gordon, Terry Norman, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Darren Kidson (TMO Manager), Tom Hatton sr, Tom Hatton jr, Eleri Jones, Nicki Bunnceranal, Ben Beck (Southwark Council Monitoring Officer)

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest
Apologies were received from Dorothy Adongo.

2. Minutes of the last meeting (approval)
The minutes of 8 February 2016 were approved

3. Matters arising
There were no matters arising.

4. Manager’s report and estate walkabout feedback
Darren presented his report with the following additional information: Eight of the eleven long-standing problematic overflows had been fixed.  The Council will be fitting and covering the cost of new fire doors inside each block.  Scaffold will be put up in Mary Datchelor Close to enable the guttering to be cleared.  Letters to tenants about the rent change were delivered one week ahead of the deadline.  Darren is following up any repairs satisfaction scores of 3 or below.  More ‘no dogs’ signs will be ordered for the play area.  The third caretaker post has been re-advertised.

Darren informed the board that the TMO’s repairs standards were above the Council’s.  Darren will prepare a repairs and maintenance manual with service standards for all households.  The draft will be reviewed by the communications sub-committee.  It was also noted that information for residents about TMO services and how to report issues needs improvement.
Action: Communications sub-committee to review current service information and develop an improvement plan with Darren, alongside the forthcoming manual.

The walkabout team will also consider with Darren how best to report back to the board.  It was agreed that the walkabout team would expand its remit to monitor communal repairs and maintenance issues.
Action: Patrick, Connie and Tasha to update the group’s terms of reference.

5. Proposal to put forward our electrical contractor for the Council’s ventilation systems repairs contract
It was agreed in a unanimous vote (with one abstention) to nominate the TMO’s contractor O’Brien’s for consideration by the Council for this contract.

6. Board arrears policy and procedure
The policy was agreed in a unanimous vote (with three abstentions), with the addition of a three-month time period for action, to bring it in line with the board code of conduct in the governance manual.
Action: Darren to bring the final version of the policy to the next meeting for information.

7. Finance
The final version of the finance report for quarter three (Sept-Dec 2015) was tabled.  

The board budget for 2015/16 was agreed.  The operational budget and board budget for 2016/17 was agreed in a unanimous vote (with one abstention).  

It was agreed in a unanimous vote (with two abstentions) to appoint Kreston Reaves as the TMO’s accountants.
Action: Terry to review the choice of auditors and bring a proposal to the general meeting on 23 March.

Elizabeth Sheeran had resigned as Treasurer.  Jane Greaves was elected to the post.

[Darren left the meeting.]

8. Planning for 2016/17
It was agreed to present all the proposals for spending surplus from 2015/16 at the general meeting as a consultation exercise, making it clear they are only ideas for final decision by the board.   All ideas would be presented without costs.  An estate improvement plan was not provided for consideration under this item, however the walkabout team reported that several benches were in poor repair and posed a health and safety risk.  It was agreed to include new benches in the proposal ideas.

9. Any other business
It was agreed to submit an application to the People’s Health Lottery to complete the community room and run IT sessions, as the bid to the Dispossessed Fund was unsuccessful.  The community room project team will meet with Darren shortly to clarify what work can be done in the meantime.

It was agreed to support the bid submitted by the garden group to the Council’s Tenants and Residents Involvement Fund for a community gardener.  The bid had already been submitted in order to catch the deadline.

It was agreed that all future draft bids would be reviewed by the communications sub-committee before being submitted, to ensure consistency.  

Board meeting minutes 8 February 2016

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting, Minutes, 8 February 2016

Present       Board: Patrick Luppi (chair), Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Tom Leighton, Rob Beer, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Tasha Gordon, Ines Teles, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Darren Kidson (TMO Manager)

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest
Apologies were received from James Traynor, Terry Norman, Connie Gray, Elizabeth Sheeren and Ben Beck (Monitoring Officer).

2. Board training needs
The board’s training needs for the coming year were agreed, including whole team sessions on social housing and benefit changes, finance and the role of the board.

Action: Kate to circulate the training plan and board members not present to indicate their interest in any of the sessions.

3. Minutes of the last meeting (approval)
The minutes of 11 January 2016 were approved with one amendment: a power supply for a cooker will be fitted in the office kitchen.

4. Matters arising
Communications: As reporters had visited the estate in the past few days, Darren reminded the board that all press enquiries should be directed to him to deal with, alongside James, as outlined in the communications sub-committee terms of reference.

General meeting: The date was confirmed as Wednesday 23 March.  The meeting will be held in the sheltered unit if available, as the community room will not be usable by then.

5. Manager’s report and estate walkabout feedback
The manager’s report was tabled and presented by Darren.  Repairs satisfaction forms will be emailed to households where possible.  A resident has been banned from the office following verbal racial abuse and threats of violence towards a member of staff.  Initial works on the community room will be covered from the set up grant.

Darren has requested a waiver for a proportion of the rent demand for the last quarter during the initial go live period when the TMO did not have PCs or access to the Council’s IT system (all provided by the Council).

Darren will prepare for the next meeting an estate improvement plan which will respond to the Council’s fire safety works assessment carried out earlier in the year.

Action: Darren to prepare the manager’s report in time to circulate in advance with other board papers.

The report provided for the last walkabout was tabled for information.  A better reporting system is being developed.  Sheets for reporting issues are now also on the reception desk and have been circulated to board members.

6. Finance
A finance report for quarter three (Sept-Dec 2015) was tabled.

[After the meeting, the report contents were confirmed as draft and subject to change.  Darren will produce a final report to be tabled as a non-confidential item at the March board meeting.]

The current bank balance was £154,400.  A £30,000 surplus was predicted for the end of the financial year.  Darren and Elizabeth will prepare an outline budget for 2016/17 for discussion at the next meeting.

Action: 1) Kate to clarify the restricted income streams with Elizabeth. 2) Kate to ask Ben Beck to clarify the cost of the TMO’s contribution to the In the Driving Seat training programme.

7. Planning for 2016/17
Proposals for next year will be discussed at the next board meeting, before being presented at the general meeting on 23 March for resident feedback.  Final decisions on plans will be made at the board away day which will be held on Saturday 9 April.

The three year priorities and objectives table from the business plan was tabled for board members to review in advance of the next meeting.

A programme of activities for Jan-Dec 2016 was tabled by the socials group.  It was agreed in a majority vote to proceed with a women’s event in March.  The other elements of the proposal will be considered at the next meeting.

8. Complaints policy
This item was postponed due to lack of time.  The Council’s complaints policy was tabled for information.

9. Reports back
This item was not covered due to lack of time.

10. Any other business
There was no other business.

Board Meeting Minutes, 11 January 2016

D’Eynsford TMO Board Meeting
11 January 2016

Minutes

Present Board: James Traynor (Chair), Jane Greaves, Bola Ogunmefum, Tom Leighton, Rob Beer, Connie Gray, Kwende Anbessa-Ebanks, Kate Damiral (minutes).

Other attendees: Darren Kidson (TMO Manager), Tom Hatton Senior, Tom Hatton Junior, Ben Beck (TMI Monitoring Officer, Southwark Council)

1. Welcome, introductions, apologies and declarations of interest
Apologies were received from Patrick Luppi, Terry Norman, Dorothy Adongo, Natasha Gordon, Beatrice Otu-Ansah, Elizabeth Sheeran and Cllr Wingfield.

2. Board training needs
This item was postponed due to lack of time.

3. Minutes of the last meeting (approval)
The minutes of 14 December 2015 were approved.

4. Matters arising
A repairs satisfaction form is now in use, offering residents an alternative to telephone feedback.

Residents of 50-127 Don Phelan Close have chosen to have the corridors painted white, with black and white marble effect tiles. The cost per leaseholder of the major works has been confirmed as £5,000.

The administrator of the Neighbourhood Fund and Cleaner, Greener, Safer grant scheme has offered to provide an information session on the combined funding pot. The current funding round has now closed.

5. Manager’s report and estate walkabout feedback
The manager’s report for December was tabled. Future reports will be provided in advance. The completion performance for repairs had slipped a little during December due to the holiday period. Jobs were still completed well within the Council’s target timeframe.

A walkabout was completed earlier in the day. The dates for 2016 walkabouts have been circulated.

It was noted that the electricity supplier is currently EDF because the TMO office’s supply is linked to the hostel’s. Once they are separated into two accounts, a sustainable energy provider will be sourced, in line with the One Planet plan. Some electricity supplies across the estate are metered, others aren’t.
Action: Darren to gather supply information for the estate.

An external letter box for out-of-hours office post will be put up.

All the operational challenges at take-over have been resolved. It was noted that the TMO system is susceptible to Council outages. There have been several to date.

The staff team will assist vulnerable residents with the necessary preparation for treatment of the bed bug infestation in Belham Walk.

The TMO is querying the rent demand from the Council as it does not seem to tally with TMO data.

6. Finance
The 14/15 accounts have been submitted to Companies House. The bank balance was £175,320. The balance for socials, the garden and board activity is around £7,000. Around £1,000 underspend from the set up grant will be repaid to the Dept for Communities and Local Government. An illustration of the format for quarterly finance reports was tabled. A report will be prepared for the next meeting.
Action: Ben to provide an example template for finance reports.

7. Community room proposal
Tom talked to the prepared report. The proposed design scheme was agreed. It was noted that a budget of £10-12,000 would be needed to deliver the scheme after preliminary works. The outcome of the bid to the Evening Standard fund is due at the end of the month. A power supply for a cooker will be fitted in the kitchen. The room’s windows and doors will be replaced in the longer term. It was noted that Age UK Southwark and Lewisham has expressed interest in using the room once it is available.
Action: Darren to scope the preliminary works to include electrical first fix and floor screed.

8. February general meeting plans
It was agreed to postpone the general meeting to mid-March. The meeting will include a presentation from James and Darren on achievements since going live and a consultation exercise on the business plan proposals, to feed into the board away day in April. It was agreed to hold the meeting in the community room if usable by the meeting date.
Action: Bola and Kate to prepare visuals for the business plan consultation. The socials team to organise refreshments.

9. Reports back
Communications sub-committee: The draft terms of reference were approved with the following additions: The group’s remit will include signage; the TMO Manager will deal with the press in liaison with the chair, freedom of information requests and members’ enquiries (from councillors and MPs).

Staff will use the vulnerable tenants list to target the provision of large print and other alternative format communications. Tasha and Tom L will do a walkaround with Darren to identify potential locations for additional noticeboards. New noticeboards will have areas of corkboard to allow residents to pin their own notices.

It was agreed that Bola would join the HR sub-committee and the socials group.

10. Any other business
The back end of the website is currently inaccessible for editing. Nelson Correia has been asked to resolve the issue.